Saturday 19 March 2016

Earth Hour


It's that time of year where people turn off the lights in their homes for an hour in order to raise awareness for climate change. It always seems to monumental when governments get involved and allow the lights on Big Ben, the Eiffel Tower and Sydney Opera House, amongst other, to be switched off.

Earth Hour is such a wonderful event because it's so simple. You can even sleep for the hour if you can't think of anything else to do, and so long as all your lights are off then you are technically taking part. It really is that easy. If you didn't take part this year, then remember for next year because it is it is only by raising awareness that we can start to actively fight climate change on a bigger scale.

I first found Earth Hour through WWF. I can't remember exactly why I was searching on their website, but I'm glad I did. As I follow WWF on Twitter, seeing all the excitement in the build up really made me consider the impact I had on the world, by living the way I do. I'm not a materialistic person but I do use a lot of electricity. It inspires me to walk to more places rather than drive, and to unplug for a while as well, something quite difficult in an age where technology seems to be the only past time.

It's also around this time of year that I also find myself watching The Lorax. This is one of my favourite films, and I absolutely love the message behind it. We destroy the world so much without even realising it, and one day it will be too late. We will have gone past the tipping point. I find the quotation at the end of the film particularly moving. "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing's going to get better. It's not." Dr Seuss was a brilliant man. I would love to have that quote plastered on my bedroom wall. If you haven't seen the film, I would recommend it because it has songs, humour and an important message all in one.

I feel like I've gone off topic, and I'm tired enough from sitting in a dark room to know that it's probably time I ended this post. I hope you all had a wonderful Earth Hour and that those of you didn't take part will do so next year.

Until next time,
EquiHolly

No comments :

Post a Comment