Sunday 1 November 2015

The Jumping Basics

Good evening all,

Over the past three weeks I have had two riding lessons, both of which involved jumping. The first of these was a pony club session in which we went back to basics - i.e. a single, small cross pole. The second was a lesson where we tackled a double and a small spread.

The PC lesson was all about us learning to feel when we were jumping correctly. After a warm up, we took turns going over a fence with no help from the instructor. We had to tell the instructor afterwards how we would improve the jump, so we were really thinking about what we were doing.

I found that straightness was the main issue for me, because the horse I was riding was quite reluctant to leave the track. I think he's a little green and/or young because I've not had that issue for a while, and he also dies on the get away. It's such hard work to get him to stay straight and going forward, but we just about managed it!

Speaking of, there was one jump that I think we were all surprised he went over as he had so little impulsion before the jump. A couple of strides away from the jump he just... drops. I think he'll improve over time, because there's only so many poles he can knock down before he gets the hint - right?

The second lesson was a lot more energetic for me. I was back on my favourite horse, and he was being so well behaved in terms of speed. He didn't charge the fences down like there was a bucket of oats on the other side. Sure, he was a pest in the walk but I totally forgave him when he barely touched the poles (by his standards anyway).

One of the things we did before we got onto the jumping was trotting in jump position, transitioning up to canter, and then once we caught up with the ride slowing back down to a trot. I have never felt so comfortable in a canter, in jump position. Jump position to me normally equates to pain, but I felt as if I could stay like that for a good while longer. My legs felt really secure, and Bails was listening to me completely.

It was such a great lesson, and I had so much confidence with Bails, that when we went over the spread just to finish of the lesson, I almost wished it was bigger. I haven't felt so fantastic jumping in a long while, and I might have to request a jumping lesson on Bails when I have my two private lessons this month.

What have your most recent jumping lessons been like?

Until next time :)

No comments :

Post a Comment