Sunday 15 May 2016

Leavers' Day, rugs, and in need of new gloves!

Good evening everyone, how are you all?

I've reached a point in my leave where things are the same but are also changing, and I think everyone that has had their final day at school can relate to this. On Friday, my years turned up at school at 7am in fancy dress to decorate the school in a theme of our choosing to mark that our seven years had come to an end. I joined my secondary school in year seven, and I honestly couldn't have wished for a better experience, so it was quite strange to hear goodbyes and best wishes. It hasn't quite settled in yet because even though I've had my last day at school, it isn't the last time I'll be at school. Friday simply marked the end of timetable for sixth formers and the start of study leave, so over the course of this month and the next, I'll be going back in to sit my exams. As I'll also be going in to see some teachers to get feedback on practice essays, it doesn't feel like anything has changed. After all, I had study leave last year too. It's a strange feeling, and the final assembly certainly made me quite nostalgic!

After we left school at midday, me and a few friends went to have a picnic. It was so relaxing, but the
high UV levels meant that I inevitably ended up a bit sunburnt and from the activities at school, I had also managed to pull my quads a little bit. All in all, horse riding the next day became a bit of a challenge. From my sunburn I was warmer than usual, and from my achy legs I hated light seat/jumping position. Actually going over the jumps was fine, but the practice lap to get us into the correct seat (and having to shorten the stirrups) was a tad painful! I'm so glad I went though, as Mary has a fantastic jump in her. In all honesty, jumping her felt the best that jumping has felt in a while because she didn't change her stride at all, and it felt so exhilarating. The downside to Mary is that she can be quite strong, and she doesn't always like to carry her head. Without gloves, my hands are still sore today so I definitely need to get a new pair soon. Does anyone have any recommendations?

In the stable management section of the lesson, we learnt about different types of rugs. It was a bit difficult cramming so many of us into the rug room, so I think all of us a bit iffy, but it was still a good crash course. For the most part we were okay at identifying indoor and outdoor rugs, but knowledge of specific types - such as waffle - went straight over our heads. It was still interesting to look at however, and it certainly made me think when the instructor for the day and one of the stable hands discussed whether to leave one of the horses in the rug he was in or change it to a heavier one. It's not something I've ever really thought about, having never owned or loaned a horse, but it's something I'll be sure to keep in mind for the future!

In other news, I now have a Pinterest account, which you can follow @EquiHolly. Be sure to follow to be updated on the fandoms I love!

Until next time...

No comments :

Post a Comment